Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:06:50 -0600
I still have not figured out who was damaged by this rule change.

There is little collaboration between the spot providers.  I don't know if Lee, VE7CC is subbed to this group or not but he could detail how CC clusters such as his and w0mu-1 work.  There is CC cluster, AR Cluster DX summit and more.  All the servers are run independently.  As a cluster server owner I have some flexibility on what spots I accept etc.  But most of the major parts are controlled by the software/developer.

I have no problem with servers that will allow or disallow self spotting.  That should be the decision of the owners of the software and server owners.

I recall when I had my skimmer going that the skimmer program would not pass what it considered self spots.  If my skimmer was called w0mu-#  it would not pass spot decoded for W0MU.  At the time self spotting was not legal and some people considered a skimmer located within the circle and sending spots to either the RBN or a cluster could be considered self spotting.

W0MU