Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 09:44:56 -0600
Why?

Nearly everyone on CW, RTTY and FT modes are spotted automatically to the clusters.  Technology does not exist yet to allow this on SSB.  If CW, RTTY and FT spots are good, then SSB spots should be good too and this allows it to happen.

Specific contest rules may need to be clarified.  I believe that the written statement made was that it was allowed in all ARRL Contests.  The newer rule takes precedent it supersedes previous rules.

Self spotting does not allow you to use spots while unassisted. It simply allows you to spot where you are at.  Unassisted stations have always been allowed to spot stations they worked or heard.

The rule attempts to even the playing field as some stations have groups of fans that constantly spot that station over and over. The spotting networks do not have verified accounts so it is nearly impossible to detect people self spotting.  They simply created a bogus call, use vpn or some other tech to change IP and location and spot away.

Allowing all stations to self spot and use social media makes it clear that streaming is acceptable.  It is a great way to expose people to the hobby.  Something that has pretty much been ignored.  It allows people to use X (twitter), Twitch, Kick, Discord, Slack and any other media options out there.  Don't we want more exposure and interest in contesting and ham radio?

Self spotting makes the contest more fun for the competitors.

Self spotting allows one to correct a blown cluster spot, which can create more dupes.  Blown spots can really hurt a competitor. There is no way to stop blown spots as much as we try.

If I self spot, how does this impact you?  Why is a self spot bad but a spot from my friend that lives a block who knows where I am operating 24/7 is bad?  Why is a RBN or skimmer spot ok  when I can install a skimmer close to my station that will spot me 24/7 anyway? The station on the other end still has to be able to hear me and then we have to complete a QSO.  Spots are good or they are bad, which is it? (discounting blown or botched spots)  The source of the spot should not change that.  Spotting is a part of the hobby and is there to use or not.  It is just another tool in the toolbox.

Is some of the resistance because people are unclear on how to spot themselves?  When everyone can do it why is it a problem?

Please detail how self spotting has affected your score in a negative way.  Please detail why the decision was "poor and not well thought out."  How has this decision impacted ARRL contests in a negative way?  I just don't like it does not help understand the underlying issues.

73,

Mike W0MU