Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: Mike Fatchett W0MU <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Henry Pollock - K4TMC <kilo4tmc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 17:25:29 -0400
Mike,

Re "I still have not figured out who was damaged by this rule change."

As someone who operates "unassisted" and claims to be "unassisted" in my
submitted logs, I feel disadvantaged against those "unassisted" who self
spot. As someone else posed a short while back, self spotting is like
having a second radio calling CQ for you while operating radio one, thus a
variation on SO2R. It would be nice to know in the published results which
"unassisted" stations posted a single or more self spot. But then there are
those who would use a different call when spotting themselves...Oh my,
Pandora's box has been opened...the key tossed in the ocean...and the lock
mechanism damaged beyond repair...

I know I have been spotted in the past, but I don't know by whom, and I
surely have not asked anyone to spot me.

73,
Henry - K4TMC