Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: Chris Tate - N6WM <chris.tate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: kq2m@kq2m.com
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:10:53 -0500

A year ago, I cited and took issue with a well-known contester in New England who was self-spotting in a DX contest under a foreign call. It was disingenuous at best, as well as being unnecessary.

And, on BOTH modes of ARRLDX this year, there were quite a number of contesters all throughout the US
who were self-spotting under other people's calls.

Self-spotting, whether we like it or not, is LEGAL under ARRLDX rules. I don't like it and still have mixed feelings about doing it, but I do it, and do it honestly. I self-spot KQ2M ONLY with KQ2M as the spotter.

I feel strongly that if you are going to self-spot, be straight-forward about it and do it ONLY
under your own call.

I would like to see the ARRL adopt a new rule: "SELF-SPOTTING" is allowed ONLY by the operator and ONLY using the operator's callsign. Self-spotting with a callsign other than the operator is considered to be a violation of the rules and may result in disqualification"

There.  Simple enough.

I would urge the adoption of a similar rule by any contest committees that have decided to allow
self-spotting.

73

Bob, KQ2M