Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self Spotting
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 22:58:29 -0300
Are some of us forgetting that if you have ANY kind of a signal whatsoever,
on CW (or RTTY) the Reverse Beacon Network will spot you 7 ways from Sunday
nearly instantaneously?  True, not all clusters carry RBN spots or users
don't turn them on, but at least there are a goodly # who do.

I love the fact that I can change bands and be detected in NA or EU in
almost real time (on CW) and at least for ARRL contests this is true for SSB
with a self spot from my favorite logging program, N1MMLogger+

It's stranger (to me) that in 'WPX we are all FORCED to be assisted, but we
cannot (yet) self spot. (I don't follow this logic)

As for the DL/AA3B spots,. I just think Bud was very clever getting around
EU filters, that's all.  Maybe he'll also be clever enough to permit
self-spotting in the CQ WPX (SSB) contests instead of having to rely on
passers-by to do it for us, which as we all know can sometimes take quite
some time.  With few spinning the big knob as in times past, clicking has
become paramount.

Mike VE9AA

Mike - Keswick Ridge, NB, Canada