Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 19:42:32 -0700
Mike, I take exception that "it is virtually identical to what RBN does on CW and RTTY".  Perhaps "virtually" is your caveat that they are in fact not the same?  With RBN, or packet, etc.  the CQing operator does not take a direct and overt action to elicit the spot for assistance.  His action may, or may not, result in a spot.  From the outset, it was not his immediate intent.  All he did was to ID or CQ.

  With "self-spotting", the operator clearly takes an action to "spot" oneself.  At a minimum, he is using a means other than a radio signal, e.g., computer and the internet, to solicit a QSO. How is that not "assisted"?  That so-called genie is now out of the bottle, and with deference to your "happier smaller stations", perhaps that will be the wave of the future?  Why are these smaller stations happier?  All they have to do is tune and listen.  And learn how to copy a call sign.   Ah, those crude, pathetic,  good old days......

  Those DX stations on the end of packet spots have already witnessed the diminution of operator skills with endless packet and RBN spots: 1) the packeteer busts your call and suddenly you are a "new" multiplier to many because you're really ZD8Z but now you've been spotted as ZD7Z.  I learned years ago that one's only self defense is to QSY to a new frequency, and start over with your real ZD8Z call; and 2) RBN pileups have the disastrous effect of putting everyone (sometimes many dozens) zero beat with one another, and the poor DX operator cannot begin to decipher any calls; at least not at any rate, and everyone suffers.  And all of these zero beaters don't realize that they're all maybe 559.  What a mess.  The DX operator then yearns for the sharp ops on the other end who've figured this out and QSY off a few HZ, and bingo: his 559 signal prevails.  Over many years, I've learned that the JA's are very gifted at listening and QSYing.    If one does not believe this story, do yourself a favor and go somewhere rare (a double mult can be educational) this November and show us all how to do it.  A place with good propagation to Europe, and Japan, can be most enlightening.

Back to self-spotting:  I believe, that a minimum, those who "need" to self spot should be classified as Assisted, or Unlimited, whatever it is.  Perhaps that will discourage some, who should know better, that they don't have to stoop to that level. There's always hope.

Very 73,

Jim Neiger   N6TJ  ZD8Z etc