Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting

To: Chris Tate - N6WM <chris.tate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting
From: "Matt Wilhelm (W1PY)" <westcoastbayou@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 17:30:21 -0400
Hi Chris,

With the allowance of self-spots, what is the reason as to why it matters
what call you use to spot oneself? They are not operating with that call
sign on the air and what they did was not nefarious (according to the
rules) nor did they do anything other than to spot themselves.  I would
argue that it was an incredibly clever way to get around the filters that
other folks configured with geographic restrictions, which they likely
configured prior to this contest and without thinking they would miss
self-spots.  I mean the stations clicked on those spots and used them,
right? How is that dishonest? I'm sure folks are rethinking how they have
manual spots filtered moving forward in ARRL contests.

I guess I'm just not understanding what you are trying to protect by saying
that ops have to self-spot using the call sign they are operating with on
an unauthenticated system?  I didn't use this method, but I'm having
trouble understanding your argument.  I hope that doesn't make folks think
I'm dishonest!

73,

Matt W1PY