Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 11:16:45 -0700
On 7/27/2023 7:42 AM, Mike Fatchett W0MU wrote:
Are there any IOTA leaders here that care to discuss?

I'm not a leader, but several years ago prepared a first submittal of more than 700 cards. Lot of work. But I would have to have shipped all those cards across the country to someone I didn't know, rather than taking them to a local checker.

Yes, they opened up ClubLog and electronic confirmations from contests, but replacing part of a submission of more than 700 cards with those electronic confirmations looked like a nightmare, and I bailed on the program.

Something like 8 years ago, I made a proposal at the Visalia IOTA dinner to adopt the confirmation procedures for the CQ Field Award, which NI6T, W1CU, and W6OAT got me into. That was a screen print of LOTW and eQSL verified confirmations that showed the IOTA, plus paper cards. W6OAT, who then lived 30 miles from me, is a checker for that award. I sat with him at a table before an NCCC meeting while he checked my submittal. All three of us are now on the honor roll.

I continue to pursue CQ Fields. I gave up on IOTA. 20 years to adopt viable electronic submission, and to use local checkers, was too much.

73, Jim K9YC