Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Bill Mader <billamader@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2023 14:45:58 -0600
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 16:58:48 +0100
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
On 26/07/2023 18:40, Jim Brown K9YC wrote:

>> If Jeff and John would like to activate a rare island, they should go
>> there - that's what self-respecting ham-radio contesters and DXers do.
>
> You don't read and retain well. They would have activated an island
> that is not rare.

In the IOTA Contest, any island station that is a multiplier is, by
definition, rare.

> When's the last time you traveled to activate anything?? I did so
> twice in the last year.

I suppose that activating rare counties in CQP is worth a mention, but
perhaps not :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI

"Rare," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.  Yes, some of us enjoy
chasing and activating rare counties.  Others don't.  That doesn't make
either wrong.  Do whichever you prefer.

In Paul's eye, advancing technology is bad for ham radio, at least more
advanced that which he uses.  That is his opinion, perhaps one not shared
by many of the rest of us.

IOTA confirmations are a PITA from my perspective, and apparently from
others'.  It seems to me (opinion) that the idea is to have one's signal
heard on the island and to hear that island's transmitter in one's
receiver.  I don't understand why, in 2023, how long the "cord" is between
the mic/key/keyboard and the rig really matters AS LONG AS one doesn't pick
multiple remote locations to shop for improved propagation.  For some, this
is the only way they can work HF.

Sadly, Jeff won't participate by using a remote station.  Maybe that
multiplier won't be available this year.  That is the sponsors' choice.  I
think and wish they would make a better choice.

73, Bill Mader, K8TE