Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2023 13:02:55 +0100
On 28/07/2023 21:45, Bill Mader K8TE wrote:
In Paul's eye, advancing technology is bad for ham radio, at least more
advanced that which he uses. That is his opinion, perhaps one not shared
by many of the rest of us.

K8TE misrepresents my position on technology.  I'm happy with any
and all technology that does not replace ham-band RF between the
operators concerned.  If the operators cannot contact one another
without being on the internet then, however they choose to describe
it, their activity is something other than ham radio.

I don't understand why, in 2023, how long the "cord" is between
the mic/key/keyboard and the rig really matters

Bill's "cord" is the internet, a public communications utility. Ham-radio
ops on the internet are internet users, just like everyone else.