Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2023 13:24:41 +0000
(Note: this email focuses on the IOTA award program, NOT the IOTA contest.)

The rule quoted is old.  There was an update pushed in the past few months:
https://www.iota-world.org/info/directory/rules-en.pdf

The short version is:

* If you're an IOTA chaser, there are now restrictions on remote stations
counting for credit.  Use of a network of remote stations (like RHR or BeLoud)
is not permitted for IOTA chasing credit.

* If you're an IOTA activator, similar rules apply.  However, IOTA will grant
exceptions for RIB-style operations (quickly set up a station on shore, remote
control it from a boat offshore) if this is the only way government authorities
would permit an island group to be activated.

So, Radio in a Box activations are allowed IF all the operators are on a boat
offshore, if the island group is rare, and if IOTA agrees that's the only way
government agencies would agree to the activation.

Considering the nature of IOTA, where part of the challenge is someone
physically going to an island, the new rules on remote operating for the
activation makes sense.

The rules for chasing are not what I would have chosen....but I'm a believer of
"their program, their rules".   And objectively, for an award or contest
organizer that rightly or wrongly wants to discourage geography-shopping and
the use of commercial remote stations, the rule adopted by IOTA seems like a
good balance between that and accepting the reality that some hams are limited
to remote operating (although it could be tweaked to allow remote control of
your home station while temporarily out of your home country).

One other nitpick -- it's no longer true that IOTA requires paper cards.  They
now accept ClubLog and LOTW for award credit.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org