Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2023 11:44:50 +0000
In fairness to the IOTA contest organizers, the rule on remote operating is
consistent with IOTA's rules for the eligibility of operations to count for
IOTA's general awards.

Previously, the operators had to physically be on the islands they were
transmitting from.   Now, particularly given the rise of "Radio in a Box"
DXpeditions and remote operating in general, they've liberalized it somewhat,
trying to strike a balance between the notion that part of the challenge of
IOTA is physically going to islands versus the bureaucratic issues and physical
hazards associated with accessing some island groups.

While I agree that limiting remote operating also limits contest participation,
when we're talking about contests where "go to an unusual location" is a key
element of the premise of the contest (like IOTA or state QSO parties),
restrictions on remote operating do make sense.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org