Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 23:15:00 +0100
On 25/07/2023 21:33, Mike Smith VE9AA wrote:
IMO, the organizers are only shooting their selves in the foot by making it
so there are less Island stations QRV than otherwise would be possible.

The organisers are trying to encourage DXpeditions (people actually travelling) to the islands.  Not unreasonable?  They want operators on islands to be QRV.

Is it correct for the organizer to dictate where the operator’s chair
actually is located?

It's their contest - they can "dictate" what they like.

To me (and I like having contest with clear-cut rules) it only matters where
the TX and antenna are located.

The IOTA organisers think that QSOs take place between people, and it's how they communicate with one another that matters.  Just another old-fashioned notion, I suppose :-)

73,
Paul EI5DI