Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operating IOTA Contest Remotely
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2023 17:33:45 -0300
That?s the way I read the rules too Jeff.
IMO, the organizers are only shooting their selves in the foot by making it
so there are less Island
stations QRV than otherwise would be possible.

I do actually know of one Island that weekend that *WILL* be operated
remotely.  I suppose it's possible the fellow will submit it as a checklog
or who knows what might happen otherwise. It?s not for me to say.

I have taken part in this very Eurocentric contest from various Islands in
the Maritimes but if the chance came up for me to operate an Island remotely
from my A/C-cooled livingroom, I?d do it and probably get disqualified after
the fact or whatever??

Is it correct for the organizer to dictate where the operator?s chair
actually is located?

To me (and I like having contest with clear-cut rules) it only matters where
the TX and antenna are located.

Cheers

Mike VE9AA

I was considering operating the IOTA contest this weekend remotely to the
PJ4 contest station in Bonaire.  K4BAI and I had a fun time operating PJ4A
remotely in the IARU Contest. After looking at the IOTA Contest rules it
appears this might not be allowed?

https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/rules/2023/riota.shtml

(h) Remote operation of an Island Station is allowed where the Operator is
situated within the same DXCC entity as the Remote Station, not more than
100km from the Remote Station, and either on the same island or on an island
which is a qualifying island in the same IOTA group as the Remote Station.

I guess I don't see the difference if I'm in the same DXCC country or less
than 100km away vs operating from my home QTH in the US. This rule would
mean that no one could use either Remote Ham Radio or Beloud.Us in the IOTA
Contest unless they lived within 100 km of one of their stations.

I've been a big supporter of the IOTA Contest over the years by activating
NA-058 using crummy mobile antennas to activate a multiplier. I can't make
it over the the Georgia coast this year. So I guess I will just operate some
from home or not at all. Hopefully my good friend Steve, PJ4DX will be on in
the contest activating SA-006.

Jeff KU8E

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB