Re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 07:28:14 -0400
There's nothing in the rules that even hint at grid circling be
unsportsmanlike.

2.3.5.All Rovers are encouraged to adopt operating practices that allow as many stations as possible to contact them.

When 98% of the contacts are with other members of the "pack" then a case may certainly be made for unsportsmanlike conduct. Yet, I'm unaware if unsportsmanlike conduct is mentioned as a "disciplinable entity" in the rules. We are allowed to be unsportsmanlike...until we reach a level at which peer pressure is applied. (what a sad commentary)

In fact, the scoring system (inadvertently) encourages it.

It is the enforcement mechanism that encourages it. Frankly...I don't blame N1ND. Whenever ambiguity exists in the rules, being forced to make an absolute judgement on it is a lose-lose proposition. Instead, it is up to us to "play nice for the greater good".

It is time to remove the ambiguity that this "rule" introduces and unshackle Dan (and the ARRL for that matter) from the issue.

Ev, W2EV