Re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

To: Dave Wendling <kb1eaa@berkshire.rr.com>,"N6MU1@aol.com" <N6MU1@aol.com>,"vhfcontesting@contesting.com" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story
From: k9tms@mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:01:15 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Seems like at least 2 people have forgotten something here.

To Keep Our Frequencies we need to use them! What is so awful that a group
of hams got together and did just that.

I respect anyone who does a rover effort, having done a couple myself it is
some of the hardest contesting to do. Something will and always does go
wrong.

Being from the midwest also you will find we need to help each other for
VHF/UHF contests whether fixed station or rover. We don't have the benifit
of those in larger populated areas that have a multitude of stations to
work or high ground to work great distances from.

It might help the "idiots" that can't seem to understand this to try
operating the January contest from Minnesota, Wisconsin or Iowa with 10
below actual temperatures and a stiff breeze blowing at your back side as
you try to deploy you antenna array. Better yet try North and South Dakota
where the temps will be even colder with less to block the wind, and 4 or 5
contacts to be had in both states.

Problem here is everyone wants to have a level playing field, the sad fact
is that will never happen on VHF and UHF due to the diffences in the places
that various
hams reside in.

To N6MU good going we need more radio operators like you to stir up activity
on the upper bands.

Tom - K9TMS