[VHFcontesting] The bottom line [was: One "Idiot's" Reply - TheReal WTX

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The bottom line [was: One "Idiot's" Reply - TheReal WTX Story]
From: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 06:27:14 -0400
John Geiger wrote:
So what other options do those who live west of the
Mississippi river have?

This is a different issue entirely. If the subject is N6MU/N6NB, then the discussion is not a "what options do I have, except to grid circle or pack rove?". Notice who has the top Single Operator Low Power score here: http://k7xc.tripod.com/VHF_Records/id5.html

The N6MU/N6NB operation is simply one to get the highest possible score. If I were to do that, I would drive a pack of rovers to WTX (the "middle" of the country) and hope for coastal Es to both/either coasts. That would allow me to take advantage of both natural phenomena (Texas *is* the sweet spot if/when 6m opens) and artificial phenomena (a scoring system that rewards good drivers and geocachers above operating or technical skill).

It's time to cut them some slack. The strategy is not only allowed, but celebrated by the contesting authorities (having been mentioned in the ARRL sanctioned recap: http://www.arrl.org/members-only/contests/results/2004/June-VHF/) as well as by a growing number of other rovers.

Ev, W2EV