re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: re: [VHFcontesting] One "Idiot's" Reply - The Real WTX Story
From: Bob K0NR <k0nr-list@rwitte.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:29:27 -0700 (PDT)
Well, it was a little too quiet on the vhfcontesting list, so it probably is
time to re-hash grid circling :-)

First, let me say that I think grid circling is dumb. A waste of time. Some
kind of demented road-rally radio event. That's just my opinion, based on how I
value my time.

So I thought about a more noble goal for VHF contesting as a rover. Perhaps we
could activate all of the grids in Colorado during one VHF contest. This
normally does not happen (perhaps has never happened). That would be a good
thing, to put all those grids on the air for others to work.

Well, I probably couldn't do it by myself. It probably takes two or three
rovers to cover the 16 grids in the state, assuming they actually spent
significant time operating from each grid.

Let's see, if we have multiple rovers out, you'd probably want to run in a pack
to some extent. Otherwise, we'd tend to not be able to work each other, if we
were located at opposite ends of the state. We could run up a better score if
we were coordinated, and it would probably be more fun. The thing to do is
really map this out and be in adjacent grids so it would be easy to work one
another. Actually, it would be best to switch back and forth across grids lines
so that we could get maximum points.

Well, now that I think about it, we should meet at the grid corners and take
turns working each other from each combination. Oops, I think I just decided to
adopt grid circling.

There's nothing in the rules that even hint at grid circling be
unsportsmanlike. In fact, the scoring system (inadvertently) encourages it.
Maybe its not so dumb after all.

73,

Bob K0NR

=====