Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:43:45 -0700
Grade A53 schedule 40 pipe is rated for structural applications. Maybe not likely found at big box stores in 1.5" or 2" size, but definitely available and used in larger diameters in structural applications. It is marked A53.

Tubing refers to inch (or metric) ID an OD and variable wall thickness and comes in many alloys, tempers, and grades. Pipe follows the NPT ID/OD conventions, all OD the same for a given inch size and wall/ID depends on grades 10 to 120. Google for the size OD/ID/wall charts.

Angles are a bad structural form to use as a cantilever beam. I & WF beams, round tube/pipe, and square/rectangular tube have FAR more resistance to bending and twisting per pound of steel.

Grant KZ1W