Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor
From: Gary NA6O via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:53:35 -0700
> From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
> Angles are a bad structural form to use as a cantilever beam. I & WF
> beams, round tube/pipe, and square/rectangular tube have FAR more
> resistance to bending and twisting per pound of steel.

Correct.
Please check out my spreadsheet at
https://na6o.com/main/Amateur_Radio_files/Cantilever_beam_stress_calc.xlsx

Scroll down the long list of different structural shapes and sizes, looking at
the STRESS columns. You’ll quickly see which shapes and sizes will give you a
safety margin, and which are most efficient in terms of strength/weight ratio.
If the stress is 10 KSI or less with the maximum expected force, you should
have a large safety margin, no matter what kind of steel is used.

-Gary NA6O