Propagation

RE: [Propagation] Re: QRPpp propagation on 10 MHz

To: <propagation@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Propagation] Re: QRPpp propagation on 10 MHz
From: "David Ackrill" <dave.g0dja@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 05:55:50 -0000

-----Original Message-----
Subject: [Propagation] Re: QRPpp propagation on 10 MHz

David Ackrill schrieb am 25.09.04 09:46 Uhr:

>> I wonder if, even with your vertical antenna, that
>> you are seeing NVIS propagation?

>I don't know but this signal was only listening for
>short time. With (only) NVIS it should be longer?!

Possibly not, with very fast fading, over very short paths maybe it would be
only short periods?

>> The fading effect would be consistent with variations
>> in electron density in the F2 layer over a short period
>> of time.

>May be possible but 179 uW and QRB 291 km on 10 MHz is
>extreme! What about tropospheric HF propagation? What
>about Meteor scatter effects on HF? What about...???
>I cannot distiguish! So I'm looking for explanations.

Personally, and other people may correct me, but Tropo effects would
probably take you over the 300kM area, I think?  Short range meteor scatter
propagation is almost as difficult as very long range MS propagation,
because of the angles that the signals need to take. As well as the fact
that a 30M wavelength signal would need a very long ionised trail to bounce
off. ;-)

>My personal reception record was a signal from England
>with 4.5 microwatt on 10 MHz. It was on my screen for
>only few minutes at afternoon. I've no explanation!

I admit that I'm guessing, because I'm not a propagation expert, but mid-day
seems to be the best for NVIS propagation.

Dave (G0DJA)

---