Propagation

QRPpp propagation on 10 MHz [was: [Propagation] Propagation Reflector]

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: QRPpp propagation on 10 MHz [was: [Propagation] Propagation Reflector]
From: Ludwig Szopinski <ludcop@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:42:01 +0200
Hello!

> So just a reminder, any topic relating to LF/MF/HF/VHF/UHF
> radiowave propagation is acceptable, whether it be questions,
> observations or theory.

Thomas, thank you for all!

So I have a question:

I'm an active member of the "Knights QRSS QRPp Group"
(see http://www.cnts.be/knights_qrss/). We try to receive
very weak QRSS or DFCW signals on shortwave like LF
operators. Sunday, August 08, I made a test on 10 MHz:

> QRG:       10.140,017 kHz
> Power:     -7,5 dBm (= 179 uW) at matchbox
> Antenna:   5m vertical (20m RG213 + Box + 10m feeder)
> Mode:      QRSS10
> Info loop: "[CW-ID]YLYL"

Peter, PA1SDB, received me only for short time at
0816 UTC. He wrote:

> To much power... PSE QRPp...
> I'm listening with a Dipole antenna and there are the
> letters YL visible on my screen !
> See attached screenshot. (time in UTC)

Have a look to this screen on my page:
http://home.arcor.de/szopinski/prop/DK5KE_Sunday_8Aug04_30m_by_PA1SDB.jpg

The distance was only 291 km!!

My question is:
How can it work?
What effects are possible?

I was very surprised!

I made some other tests with European stations with only
one milliwatt (QRO, hi) on 10 MHz, 7 MHz and 3.5 MHz. It
works good in one skip propagation (for example have a
look to screens - http://www.qsl.net/dk5ke/qrss.html
(in German)). But here I had weaker QRSS traces ;-)

For my QRSS activity I prefere:

http://www.ionosonde.iap-kborn.de/ionogram.htm
http://digisonde.oma.be/cgi-bin/latest.exe?
http://www.ips.gov.au/Main.php?CatID=2
http://sec.noaa.gov/today.html
http://sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/dregion.html
http://sec.noaa.gov/alerts/index.html

Don't forget: Fun = Distance / Power ;-))

73'
Ludwig
--
Morse-Telegrafie-Homepage(CW) http://www.qsl.net/dk5ke
"Die Morsetelegrafie ist der Urknall des Internets!!!"