Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests

To: "CQ-Contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL to allow self-spotting in contests
From: MARK BAILEY <kd4d@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 12:39:10 -0500 (EST)
Hi Randy:

Allowing self-spotting might not have had much of an impact.  Allowing chat
rooms and other non-amateur radio platforms will have a huge impact.
Competitive assisted single operators and Multi-ops will have social media
coordinators.  Unless a very carefully crafted rule is written, Single Operator
Assisted operators can have additional people helping with social media.

Live streaming offers the ability to confirm QSOs in real-time.  The
video/audio feeds will quickly be augmented by machine-readable data for that
confirmation - and real-time QSLing!  This effectively eliminates the rules
against confirming QSOs during contests by non-amateur radio means.

Many QSOs will now be arranged via social media or dedicated apps.  It will be
interesting to see if stations still need to hold run frequencies in a few
years when the scheduling apps can just access their current frequency in
real-time and it becomes sort of like a sprint.  I hope so - otherwise, the
single operators won't even be able to work the serious assisted/multi-op
stations.

73,

Mark, KD4D