Re: [VHFcontesting] Difference between types of Rover?

To: JamesDuffey <jamesduffey@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Difference between types of Rover?
From: Sean Waite <waisean@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 20:45:13 +0000
No worries, email isn't the greatest at conveying contextual information.

During contests, I tend to look at "what is most fun." Scoring high and
winning a category is definitely fun, so I like to look for ways to get as
high a score as we can. I'm sure we could get higher scores in contests,
but there are definitely ways of doing that which would add some drudgery
and make it less fun. A large pack would probably reduce the fun quota a
bit, you'd be so busy trying to work everyone in your group that you'd miss
the thrill of snagging a weak station or getting a small run going. Having
a second rover tagging along would be nice though, it'd certainly eliminate
some of the "well I've been sitting here for half an hour calling CQ, but
there's a football game on so no one is on the radio" type things where
you're just trying to get one contact, any contact, to activate that grid.

I don't know how you'd fix the rover pack thing without making it so that
rovers can't contact other rovers. You also run into trouble if you try and
limit the microwave contacts, that makes it less worthwhile to carry that
gear, and the rules are crafted in such a way to encourage use of the
higher bands as much as possible.

Sean WA1TE