Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest

To: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,Ron Klimas WZ1V <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 08:41:09 -0800 (PST)
Very well said Kenneth.

For me it really comes down to this:

1. "Is my contest QSO being made with means and equipment
that is wholly contained within my station's/contest rule
defined location?"

2. "Is my ability to find stations to work is being
accomplished by using equipment that is wholly contained
within my station?"

By my estimation using APRS or other live chat/spotting
networks does not fit either 1 or 2 since large portion of
the "station discovery process" is being routed through
outside means. The standard practice of walking he bands does
not use "outside means" so I see no problems with. I know
that some try to equate APRS/spotting with the common band
walking practice, they are by no means the same thing at all.

As for real-time net based logging I have no problems with it
either. Mainly because there is little to no useful
information to gleaned from it. It really is pretty worthless
for finding others to work.

I also do not see any problems with modes like WSJT. In fact
I'm completely fine with people using whatever level
computing power and software that they can muster inside of
their station to make Qs. The only thing that matters as far
as I'm concerned is whether the claimed Q is being made
entirely with equipment inside of the defined station
perimeters on both ends of the Q.

Duane
N9DG