Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest
From: "Christopher Burke" <chris@n9yh.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:13:47 -0600
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:48:00, Ron Klimas WZ1V <wz1v@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> BTW, got a real kick out of the guy saying he was a WI-FI rover, look for
> my CQ's on 802.11b channel 3! Is that really in the amateur portion of the
> band?

Yes.

> Did anyone work him? Am I missing something here or should we all be
> looking at how to modify our wireless cards for use with a linear
> amplifier? CQ Wifi DX! Let me through your firewall pleeze, I promise not
> to give disease!
>
> -73, Ron WZ1V

Well, this is probably the cheapest way to get on 2.4 GHz like getting a FM
rig is the cheapest way to get on 222.  It's not popular for contesting, and
there's a lot of "noise" out there in the form of part 15 stations, but it's
easy enough to give it a go.  We have a guy in our club that's into
"wardriving" and his mobile setup consists of a Linksys router and his
laptop.  If you're roving and you've got a laptop already, it's like $70 for
the router.  Sticking that bad boy up on a pole with a dish or a beam would
set you back a little more, but not much.  The hard part would be finding
stations to work.  You'd need a setup with Kismet or NetStumbler and you'd
have to look for SSIDs that were callsigns.  It's easy to get that far, but
I don't know enough about it to know if there's a generally accepted way to
have a QSO, though.

Hey, it's unconventional, but it's potentially a cheap way to get points and
possibly another multiplier and it's certainly no sillier than the laser
transceivers that are out there.  There's not that much range and only like
300 mW transmit power, so you'd have to know about another station in
advance, but then again it's awfully hard to find stations by just calling
CQ on 10 GHz.

73!
Chris N9YH

--