Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest
From: "Gerry Hull" <gerry@w1ve.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 11:03:36 -0500
Oh!  And don't forget www.getscores.org, my live contest score reporting
site.
Not much participation from VHF'ers this year, but some... Here's the top
ten
live scores reported:

  *ARRL-VHF-JAN* KB1DFB 47,201 MULTI-LIMITED N8RA 8,208 SINGLE-OP NE1B 6,076
MULTI-LIMITED N1SXL 4,374 SINGLE-OP WB2JSM 1,536 MULTI-ONE K1EP 616
SINGLE-OP N9LAH 527 SINGLE-OP K2DBK 500 SINGLE-OP KA1CQR 351 SINGLE-OP K1TTT
150 MULTI-ONE

It's a great site to "look over your shoulder" to see how the competition is
doing, or, get motivated to beat them.

The site supports posting scores from N1MM Logger, Writelog and Wintest.
It has an easy-to-use XML-over-http or Web Services (SOAP) based posting
interface -- so those roll-your-own VHF loggers can also join in the fun.
All that is needed to participate is an internet connection.

BTW, posting to the site and looking at scores is "legal" for all
participants.

73, Gerry W1VE/VE1RM

On Jan 24, 2008 7:48 AM, Ron Klimas WZ1V <wz1v@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Thinking over this past contest, I'm a bit perplexed about a few observed
> internet related practices:
>
> 1. Viewing Pingjockey while operating WSJT. I did. There were people
> making
> skeds during the contest. Is that legit now?  How about posting statements
> like "Calling CQ now on .140" ?  Is that really OK?
>
> 2. APRS Rover tracking. Findu.com <http://findu.com/> and the like. Did
> everyone check this
> out? I looked at it right before the contest and could see where all the
> rovers were. Very nice! What I don't understand is why can't everyone view
>
> this? I don't think this is spotting. It's geographic information, ie. is
> the rover behind schedule getting to his first spot or is he already
> there?
> It doesn't spot their operating frequency or anything like that. If it's
> legit for anyone to simply view Pingjockey, why is it not ok for Single
> Ops
> to view this? Is it just me or has the definition of "assisted" become
> unclear?
>
> BTW, got a real kick out of the guy saying he was a WI-FI rover, look for
> my CQ's on 802.11b channel 3! Is that really in the amateur portion of the
> band?
> Did anyone work him? Am I missing something here or should we all be
> looking at how to modify our wireless cards for use with a linear
> amplifier? CQ Wifi DX! Let me through your firewall pleeze, I promise not
> to give disease!
>
> -73, Ron WZ1V

Gerry Hull
Greenfield, NH USA