Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:06:31 -0600
Ron & Jeff,

Let me see if I can answer your two questions with one note.   The updated
EME contest rules have a defintion for "Assisted" and this definiton is
used in context with both the single-op and multi-ops operating
classifications ..... being "assisted" does not mean multi-op only.   You
could be an assisted single op too.   At the same time the rules also
provide for non-assisted classifications.   The VUAC worked hard to provide
operating classifications that would promote activity and fun for all.
This INCLUDES those who prefer only digital modes, only analog modes, using
the Internet to coordinate, not using the Internet to coordinate, or a
mixed bag of all of these.   Per the EME rules, anyone using coordiantion
tools like Pingjocky during the contest and who submits a log would fall
into the Single-Op, Mixed Mode, Assisted or Multi-OP, Mixed Mode, Assisted
(section 5.3.4 and 5.3.8 in the EME rules) OR who are operating on 50 MHz,
222 MHz or 902 MHz EME (per rule 5.2).

Outside of the EME contest, in regards to using tools like Pingjocky for
coordination during other VHF contests, its MY belief (worth = $0.02) that
this is not allowed per General Rule 3.10. "The use of non-Amateur Radio
means of communication (for example, Internet or telephone) to solicit a
contact (or contacts) during the contest period is not permitted".  Unlike
other situations, like rovers use of APRS, there is no General VHF nor
contest specific rule that would superceed this General Rule.  This is my
understanding.  Is there another ?

As always, we defer to the ARRL's Contest Manager for any final word ...
this is just discussion.

73, Jon
W0ZQ