Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest

To: Ron Klimas WZ1V <wz1v@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] internet contest
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:31:45 -0800
Your subject line is quite prescient - too many turn to the internet during
contests because it's easier than actually using the radio.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 07:48:00AM -0500, Ron Klimas WZ1V wrote:
> Thinking over this past contest, I'm a bit perplexed about a few observed
> internet related practices:
>
> 1. Viewing Pingjockey while operating WSJT. I did. There were people making
> skeds during the contest. Is that legit now?

Except for the EME contest (and I think that was a deplorable rule change),
using the internet to coordinate QSOs during the contest is cheating.

>                                              How about posting statements
> like "Calling CQ now on .140" ?  Is that really OK?

That is "self-spotting", and again (except for the EME "contest") it is
cheating.

> 2. APRS Rover tracking. Findu.com and the like. Did everyone check this
> out? I looked at it right before the contest and could see where all the
> rovers were. Very nice! What I don't understand is why can't everyone view
> this? I don't think this is spotting. It's geographic information, ie. is
> the rover behind schedule getting to his first spot or is he already there?
> It doesn't spot their operating frequency or anything like that. If it's
> legit for anyone to simply view Pingjockey, why is it not ok for Single Ops
> to view this? Is it just me or has the definition of "assisted" become
> unclear?

I truly do not understand why the VUAC and PSC thought that internet-routed
APRS sorta-but-not-quite-really-or-maybe-it-really-is-CQing should be
permissible in VHF contesting, but they have.  According to the rules,
though, only multi-ops can use APRS.  Rovers can generate APRS self-spots,
but they cannot use APRS data themselves during the contest.  I guess
some people thought having to actually find rovers on their own was
too hard, so they should just let the internet do it for them.

> BTW, got a real kick out of the guy saying he was a WI-FI rover, look for
> my CQ's on 802.11b channel 3! Is that really in the amateur portion of the
> band?

Channels 1-6 are within the amateur band.

> Did anyone work him? Am I missing something here or should we all be
> looking at how to modify our wireless cards for use with a linear
> amplifier? CQ Wifi DX! Let me through your firewall pleeze, I promise not
> to give disease!

As far as I know, 802.11 is not a popular mode for VHF contesting.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com