Re: [VHFcontesting] All Icom SVC manuals, free pdf

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] All Icom SVC manuals, free pdf
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 15:00:48 -0600
Joshua M. Arritt wrote:
> kr7o@vhfdx.com wrote:
>>  The Italian site does not
>> have the 37a manual, but lists one for the 47a, but I get an error message
>> in Italian when I try to download that or other manuals from that site
>> (will try later).
>>

> The links on this page:
>
> http://www.marcucci.it/e_download_s.htm
>
>  ...point to strange, non-standard, I'd imagine non W3C-compliant URLs --
>
> ftp://ftppub:ftpmarc@213.215.151.204/ftppub/service/GP22.zip
>
> ...for example.
>
> When you strip the stuff between "ftp://"; and the IP address, they seem
> to work.

Why guess?  You can easily use Bablefish to see what the Italian error
message said.

As far as the URL's go:

Those ARE the standard URL format for including user/pass in URLs, been
using that format myself since at least 1995.

That format also works fine for many other data resource types besides
ftp.  Telnet, http, https, gopher... (Yeah, I said gopher.)

RFC 1738 covers it, written in 1994.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt

W3C didn't (and doesn't) define URL's.  IETF did, many years before W3C.

Nate WY0X