Re: Topband: https://clublog.org/logsearch/CB0ZA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: https://clublog.org/logsearch/CB0ZA
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 16:03:42 -0500

On 2/19/2024 3:42 PM, uy0zg via Topband wrote:

So this is exactly where I started the topic - soon heaven will come
on earth :-))))

No, FT8 has provided a way to compensate for the 20 dB in increased
noise floor over the last 40 years.

I was around in the late 1970's and early 1980s with a simple 1/4 wave
sloper and short Beverage antennas on a couple of suburban acres.  I
know from first hand experience what all the switching power supplies,
plasma displays and sloppy power line maintenance has done to the noise
level on 160 and 80.  Even if I had multiple RX antennas on my current
five acre suburban plot, I could not come close (DXCC #50 and second
not on the east coast) to what I accomplished before we were allowed
high power on 160.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2/19/2024 3:42 PM, uy0zg via Topband wrote:

"Like it or not, FT8 has been a boon to many DXers with limited antenna
situations and noisy locations."

So this is exactly where I started the topic - soon heaven will come on earth :-))))
In the future, there may be no need to build antennas at all...

So friends, we should be happy and not nervous :-)))

---
Nick, UY0ZG
http://www.topband.in.ua

Joe Subich, W4TV писал(а) 2024-02-19 22:29:
On 2/19/2024 3:10 PM, Saulius Zalnerauskas wrote:

After, I found few QSOs with me, just checked few known call signs in
their LOG, found also same.
Unlike the official WSJTX software, some third party variations will
log a QSO every time it sends an acknowledgement (RR73) for a report.
If the calling ("hound") station does not hear the acknowledgement
and sends his report again, the third party software is too "dumb"
and treats the repeated report as another QSO.  When this happens
the DXPedition can rack up multiple QSOs - generally one minute apart.

This is a problem of sloppy programming on a noisy band ... not DXers
who are intentionally making multiple QSOs.