Re: Topband: https://clublog.org/logsearch/CB0ZA

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: https://clublog.org/logsearch/CB0ZA
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2024 11:53:29 -0800
On 2/19/2024 7:27 AM, Saulius Zalnerauskas wrote:
Look's like this "Sherlock Holmes" not understand what CB0ZA Robot doing.

It is unreasonable to assume that all FT8 QSOs are with robots. I know some of the very experienced CW ops who run FT8 on expeditions. WSJT-X software makes the mode quite time-efficient for expeditions. It's a replacement for RTTY, not CW.

It should be observed that no less a great engineer and operator than AA7JV is a strong believer in the mode. George is one of the best operators and most innovative engineers I know. And he's got great big balls! Check out his history. This is a guy who would swim hundred of yards to to his boat anchored offshore to upload the log, which was on a thumb drive in a baggie in his mouth. And who designed very effective topband antennas specifically for the conditions on the islands where he planned to set up. And who designed and built diplexers for Topband transmitting antennas so that both CW and FT8 stations could be active simultaneously every night, so that the "magic" openings that usually occur one or two nights out of 3 weeks would not be missed. And who invented "Radio In A Box," drastically reducing the cost and physical difficulty of expeditions to islands.

I made several QSOs with the CB0 team this weekend during ARRL DX CW. Great ops made it easy to work them. I did not work 160 this weekend -- storms have taken out all of my RX antennas.

73, Jim K9YC