Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: mstangelo@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:36:54 -0500 (EST)
I've been following this thread. Do you know why FT-8 is so popular. I remember
what a salesman told me years ago "You bought the radio. Now what are you going
to do with it?" Let me explain.

As a teenager in Queens, New York I bought my equipment from Lafayette Radio. I
saved up enough money to buy a serious radio, a Lafayette HA-350 that I got on
a sale price. After getting it he asked me  "You bought the radio. Now what are
you going to do with it?" and explained Hams rarely consider the environment
that they intend to use the radio. Since many Hams in the city lived in
apartments or has postage stamp lots he sold them am antenna that at least
would get them started. I popular one was Hustler whips, I forgot the others.
We were moving to the suburbs and told him I would select an antenna once there.

Years later I got married and in we bought a house in Queens on a postage size
lot. It was in a quiet residential area and the utilities were underground.
Looking back the noise level was low. I could not get up a 160 antenna so I
concentrated on Low Frequency and NDB DX'ing.

I followed my job to New Jersey and and able to buy an acre lot in horse
country a couple of miles from the ocean. I bought an Elecraft K3 and started
with an Inverted L against radials which I figured was the minimum needed for
160. I noticed the noise level was getting higher than in Queens and it was
harder and harder to work the weak signals. FT-8 came out. I tried out, did not
like it. I consider it an ersatz mode and as a rule don't operate with a
computer. I still do paper logging. I am retired so what to do?

I found out I don't like sitting around for extended lengths of time. We spend
lots of time at the beach and parks so I started to do lots of portable
operation; I find a quiet place at the beach or park and operate there. I am
amazed at the low noise levels. I haven't operated 160 portable but are
thinking of ideas.

Getting outdoors also makes the hobby more palatable with my wife. She says Ham
radio could provide good mental exercise but is a sedentary hobby, bad for
physical health.

Enjoy what gives you satisfaction but keep it legal.

Mike N2MS