Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: Roger Kennedy <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: David Olean <k1whs@metrocast.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:42:40 -0500
Hello Roger

I took down all of my receiving wires in anticipation of getting my property logged of some large trees, both white pine and hardwoods. The logging required that I take out all of my nailed on insulators plus the beverage wire etc.  So I am QRT on 160.  I have about 50 acres of land of which most is woods.  I am hoping that I can open up the woods a bit and reduce my wire maintenance as a result.  The bad news is that I am off 160 for this winter.

I am not getting any younger. I will celebrate(?) my 79th birthday in about a month, but have plans to re install all the beverage wires along with a new 8 Circle array. The loggers will clear an opening for processing the logs that is the right size to hold my 8 Circle array. The ground is pretty flat and I plan to combine the 8 Circle and my beverages with another NCC-1 phasing system for diversity reception.   The two systems will be fairly far apart and I can pair up the 8 Circle with my two 1200 ft long EU beverage wires that I have been using the past two years or so. That array hears very well.  Possibly  the diversity will make it better?   So next spring and summer I have my work cut out for me to get it all back up and running. I really do like 160 meters. It is quite a bit of fun and very similar to VHF dxing on 144, 222, and 432!

Dave K1WHS