Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: "ve6wz@shaw.ca" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 18:27:47 +0000
Roger,

I agree fully that unless someone is calling CQ, we will all conclude the band
is dead.
As Dave said, with the usual very rapid QSB on 160m this is very true.

However, regarding conditions.
Here at VE6WZ I am almost always watching the band for an opening.  Like
virtually every night.
Thank goodness for OK1CF and LY7M and a few others making the effort to call CQ.

When I say "always watching the band" I mean that I am ALWAYS watching the band.
Even when watching TV with the XYL, I have a remote session on my iPhone
watching the waterfall on the Flex radio.
If any of the EU CQs start to bubble up and make a trace....I will see it and
be at the radio.
If the band is open to EU I will know it!!
That has not happened much this season.  Since September I have only had 56
QSOs with Europe.

Secondly, every night I am recording the entire MW (AM BCB) band.
I can very quickly review what's happening and see if any trans-polar EU BCB
stations are making it.
The usual big guns are Moldova Vesti on 1413 kHz, Lithuania Baltic 1386 kHz and
sometimes the UK on 1053, and occasionally the Ukraine and Romania.
At times they can be quite strong here.  At those times, I reckon 160m has a
good shot.

As Dave said, without making noise there will be limited activity.
This season (and last), PART of the reason has been rather poor conditions for
us guys out west on the trans-polar path.
Your path to the East Coast is a completely different story.

Steve, ve6wz