Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 18:37:10 -0500
Noise is up.
80 is becoming the new 160!

Also, it is noise that is driving a lot of ops onto FT8.
Another contributor is RBN! While RBN is great tool, most RBN RX antennas are poor on 160. Those that rely on a quick scan of RBN for 160 meter activity will incorrectly assume that the band is dead. In the past 10 years noise has gone up by something like 10 dB in many areas. What worked 10 years ago, no longer works today. We need to learn to live with it. Invest in better RX antennas and other noise reduction techniques. (Petition the FCC to increase the power limit by 10 dB :-)
And keep calling CQ!
73,
George,
AA7JV