Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2024 14:53:07 -0400
You pretty much hit a lot of my same sentiments Dave.  I have the same
observations re: 6m. I used to be on SIX almost daily for 30+ yrs but FT-8
has taken 99% of 6m CW and SSB activity completely away-poof.  My personal
feeling is some people are lazy.  They want the computer to do the work.  I
like the challenge of 6 & 160, so I prefer CW (and to a lesser degree, SSB)
on those 2 bands.  I am not a FT-8 hater, (You guys do you and have fun.)
but can pride myself on all my 6m/160m QSO's on legacy modes.

As far as 160m CW casual weekday (or weekend) QSO's, myself personally,  I
don't feel a pressing need to get on and work the same 10-20-30 guys I
worked last night or last week or 100 times before..but that's just me.  I
see value in it to keep the band alive, but after so many years(decades),
the novelty has finally worn off for me. All the complaining in the world
won't fix this apparent lack of activity. Be thankful for the few 160m
stalwarts that still remain. I applaud you.

SIX is a vast MADMAX wasteland nowadays.

  I get my personal "Topband fix" in contests 5 or 10 times per year. (or
the rare country/dxpedition that might be new on 160)

YMMV (isn't it great we're not all built the same?)

I wish all you Topbanders well and success in 2024 no matter the path you
choose!

Mike VE9AA

---------------

There's no doubt the combination of poor conditions combined with FT-8
decimating CW activity makes for a lot of boring mornings and evenings on
TB.  I go for days and not work a single EU or Asian station (cw) and I'm
active.  That said, I was on last evening (NA time) just prior to EU sunrise
with some success.  My log includes KP4AA, OZ4MM, OK1DOT, LY7M, G4EIM,
OK1DT, 9A3JH, and HB9BLQ (all time new callsign).  When I got on about 0430z
conditions didn't seem to be at all good.  Nevertheless, I forged ahead
CQing and as SR began to sweep across Europe people started calling in.

I think too often we get on, tune around a bit, maybe check out RBN, and
conclude conditions are poor (as they often are) and return to TV.  It's
still important to get on and make some noise, not just SWL.

My $0.02 worth. . .73 and Happy New Year to all. . .Dave, W0FLS

VE9AA

Mike - Keswick Ridge, NB, Canada