Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: "Roger Kennedy" <roger@wessexproductions.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 16:13:03 -0000
Yes, Topband IS a really difficult band to work long distances on . . .

For a start, putting out a decent signal if you live in a normal house on a
normal street in the city  (like I always have) is really challenging, in
terms of Antennas.

And of course, it's the hardest band in terms of Propagation . . . working
round the world even on 80m is SO much easier !

But for me, these are the very reasons why EVERY long-distance QSO on Top
Band gives me a buzz (regardless of how many times I have worked that
station before) . . . because I believe each one is a real achievement.
That's why I am still passionate about 160m after 54 years working DX on the
band (since my first QSO with W1BB).

In terms of encouraging CW activity, one thing that DOES help is if people
could SPOT any stations calling CQ on the DX Cluster. (I always see dozens
of FT8 spots, even when it's not DX)

As I posted earlier, conditions were pretty good last night . . . so hope we
will see even more stations making the effort to come on tonight.

73 Roger G3YRO