Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity

To: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>, "'Frank W3LPL'" <donovanf@starpower.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Lack of DX CW Activity
From: "Robin" <wa6cdr@cq160.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 14:49:21 -0800
I worked KH6DX in his mobile -- as I recall he was /W6 -- from XZ1N. 1998 or 1999 Its on tape - somewhere. I dug him out of the pile up and started laughing! I had worked him in his mobile several times from the US during various contests, so I easily recognized him. Set H I, and the exchange. His signal was competitive in the pileup.

Once I had a chance, I played back the tape and found he had been calling steadily until my ears picked him.

I was able to give him an audio CD of the recording when I met him at Visalia a year or two later when he was giving a talk on what could be worked from 160 mobile

Memory says he was running KW class power

This was a time in the solar cycle when we had spotlight propagation

Robin Critchell
WA6CDR
XZ1N XZ0A
HS72B
VP6DX

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca> To: "'Frank W3LPL'" <donovanf@starpower.net>; "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 06, 2024 10:16

Years ago now, but I worked Jon a few times when he was mobile on his way to work and I seem to recall him being a pretty darn good signal at 1000kms away from here. I think he may have even worked Japan from his Jetta and KJ7U antenna.

Maybe he'll see these messages and comment.

Mike - Keswick Ridge, NB, Canada