Re: Topband: Mobile Operations are great for long trips.

To: <W3HKK@roadrunner.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mobile Operations are great for long trips.
From: "Robin" <wa6cdr@cq160.net>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2024 15:19:11 -0800
I operated 160 CW mobile - back when the band was segmented. I did it in a VW beetle with a tank whip mount and the whip cut with an insulator and a big loading coil.

and a straight key

6 Volt system - with a Elmac PMR6 in the dash and a Viking Ranger on the passenger seat, and dynamotors under the "bonnet"

Had some added battery capacity, but not much

160 bit me hard - I got on top band the first day my General license came in the mail - late 1959 as I recall.

My drivers license came soon, and I then set things up so I could move my Ranger from home to the mobile- Had a ball

Met many fine folks- Nilan, W6EIG(SK) was on in his mobile pretty much every day

Still remember Alex W6KIP(SK) and his nightly tests with ZL

This was when the band was - in our region, 200 watts input at night, and LORAN was loud when trying to hear the east coast -

and real DX was quite rare, even during the W1BB CQ 160 CW contests that began in, I think, 1960 or 1961

west coast was 1975-2000, east coast 1800-1825.

did some CW mobile in the 2000s with a K3

It took a LOT more work to get on top band than push two buttons, wait for the auto tuner to finish, and then call and work all the dx

It still does if you are serious. Fortunately, we have a cadre of serious folks who work through what it takes to HEAR and work DX

Robin Critchell
WA6CDR

----- Original Message ----- From: <W3HKK@roadrunner.com>