Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

To: Kenneth Silverman <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>, Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?
From: Rick Kunath via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 16:07:47 -0500
OK Kenny. I understand now. Not all of the TX will be under control of the transceiver at the operating position that is using the in-band antenna, so you need RF protection while also receiving in-band. I think your phased vertical idea could work. But, a pair of flag antennas would also work well. And they're ground independent too.

You would want endfire arrays here. As was mentioned, about 100-foot separation is a good starting point, and that's inline of course. In the case of either the 2 vertical array or the 2 flag array you could use coax sections cut to the appropriate length considering the velocity factor of the coax to get the pattern that you want. One other thing about the flag option is that the antennas can be either unterminated, and the pair will give you a really deep null at low elevations, or you can add VACTROL termination and adjust it on the fly. In your case with the TX going on I think I'd install the VACTROLs, tweak the terminating resistance to the best values, and then measure it and replace the VACTROLs with a several watt non-inductive combination of fixed resistors that give you that same value. No TX worries then. Terminated, the flags will give you a deeper back null than the verticals will.

The flags don't need to be huge. You didn't specify the bands of interest but a 10-foot by 25-foot flag with the bottom wire 3-feet off of the ground works well from mediumwave to over 40 meters, maybe higher. I have a pair of these in an inline configuration and unterminted I can sweep a null from horizon to horizon. Terminated I can deepen the null and swing the max null angle some against the horizon.

I have my flags setup so they're moveable. I used 4 5-gallon plastic buckets and put a 3 foot PVC pipe with a cap centered, bolted the cap to the center of the bucket bottom, and then filled the buckets with concrete. I can move them and they stay put even in high winds. I have a 10-foot piece of PVC in a PVC coupling on top of the bucket cemented pipe section and on each end that supports the antenna loop. The flags are fed in the lower corner via twisted-pair transmission line and that is back to the shack where any transformation or preamping is done. And then on to the SDR. The termination is at the opposite corner. I modeled and tested corner feed vs center side feed and termination and I did not notice any difference in performance.

You could do something similar with a KAZ or Superloop and that would be longer but need only one support at the center.

Just a few more thoughts for you to consider...

Rick Kunath, K9AO