Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2023 18:58:26 -0800
On 12/16/2023 5:46 PM, Kenny Silverman wrote:
Does the NCC-2 create a predictable antenna pattern?  I’m just wondering
  how to null the noise but not create some weird pattern which may also
produce a null in the desired direction.

Here's how it can be made to work with suitable antennas.

http://k9yc.com/VE3DO.pdf

As my measurements of my NCC1, it's well engineered product. After first getting it running with a pair of VE3DO loops spaced 5/8 wave on 160 aimed at EU (and reversible to VK/ZL), I verified with on-air testing that the patterns I modeled in NEC were accurate.

For noise rejection, I'd suggest one or more pairs of verticals carefully matched to each other. I'm guessing that 5/8 wave spacing might be a good starting point. And I'd pay attention to W3LPL's excellent talks on how various types of RX antennas and arrays work (or don't) with surrounding objects, including vegetation.

73, Jim K9YC