Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

To: john.kaufmann@verizon.net, 'Kenny Silverman' <kenny.k2kw@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?
From: Rick Kunath via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 13:05:51 -0500
I'm not sure we still understand the intended application of the original poster, I know I don't.

I've done lots of work with loops and loop arrays phased either passively (active or entirely passive external phaser boxes) or actively phased via an SDR but none of that would eliminate the need for RX protection on the receive antenna and any electronics associated with it. So if the OP is trying to get away from any protection from the TX energy, I think this is false hope. A loop mounted preamp makes that more complicated. And The NCC2 does have options for protection boards for TX internally. There are several types available and also internal preamps.  But it cannot set a specific amplitude and phase angle on the phasing. I don't have one and haven't ever had the pleasure of using one, but those that do tell me they enjoy them and they work well especially for live listening. I do like the idea of having the electronics at the shack end of things and as little as possible at the antenna when possible, though depending on the specifics you will have VACTROL devices or other termination devices at at the antenna with at least some antenna types.

Preset patterns and unattended work are another case entirely and this is best done with specific phase coherent dual-channel SDRs and a specific SDR application.

I think doing what the OP might want as I might understand it is possible, but I'd like to hear more from him about his hopes for the project.

Rick Kunath, K9AO