Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: NCC-2 antenna pattern?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2023 10:36:58 -0500
If you can get that close I suggest a small explosive charge

73, Pete N4ZR

On 12/17/2023 10:31 AM, John Kaufmann via Topband wrote:
If you are going to use the NCC-2 to null a nearby in-band transmitter, I think
it's very likely that the NCC-2 will get overloaded by the extremely strong RF
and not be usable.  I've tried this before and found that to be the case.  In
fact, I designed my own totally passive nuller to get around this problem.  It
worked and was able to create very deep nulls on an in-band transmitter, but
turned out to be very impractical because it required constant adjustment to
maintain a null as antennas were changed or rotated.

The other thing to consider is that if the interference is coming from the same
direction as a signal you want to hear, nulling the interference will also null
the signal. Nulling works best when the interference comes from a very
different direction than the signal.  It also helps greatly if the interference
sensing antenna receives the interference much more strongly than the main
antenna.  This can be done by placing the sensing antenna close to the
interference source, if that's possible.

73, John W1FV