Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: Richard Beerman <rbeersr@att.net>, "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 10:04:58 -0700
On 9/4/2018 9:36 AM, Richard Beerman wrote:

Anyway, here is my question…. my vertical has 3/8” tubing at the top. Pretty flimsy to connect top loading wires except maybe small gauge wire. I am not sure how well small gauge wire will handle voltages that may appear at the top of a 68’ vertical. So, as an alternative, much like the Hytower does today, what would happen if I installed top loading wires of a larger gauge lower

There is no electrical reason why you can't use fine gauge wire.
There is very little current in the top loading wires and the
presence of them reduces the voltage at their ends.
Mechanically, you can use fishing line as a messenger line by
taping the magnet wire to the fishing line (or attach using heat
shrink tubing).  Dyneema fishing line has the greatest strength
vs diameter.  You want small diameter to prevent the wind from
yanking around the 3/8 inch tubing.

If you connect the wires below the top, the section above the
junction with the wires becomes inoperative, so that isn't
the solution.

73
Rick N6RK