Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 19:24:31 -0400
Jim,

Just my 2-cents.  Here goes...

First, NEC 4.2 160m "T" modeling shows very little advantage of having 4
top-hat wires instead of just two.  The azimuth radiation pattern is almost a
circle in the horizontal plane with two wires since very little field strength
is radiated from symmetrical top hat wires.  OTOH, perhaps you need more for
pole stability in which case you could get by with only three wires spaced 120
degs apart.

Not sure how much horizontal room you have but top load an 80m vertical out as
far as possible.  If you can, make the top wires long enough so that resonance
occurs on a choice frequency as displayed on a vector impedance analyzer.
You'll be left with just the R value that can be brought up to 50+j0 with an
unun or an L network.

Let's say you can install those long wires into resonance.  4Nec2 shows that
with a 68 ft. thin radiator, resonance can be achieved with wires roughly 41
ft. per side.  With a ground field of 60 radials, 90 ft long on sandy ground,
4Nec2 reports a base impedance of 15.4+j2.5.  That's probably close, real world
will be different.  In that case, a high-pass L network can transform that
impedance to 50+j0 with C = 3380 pF and L = 2.91 uH.  Low pass:  C = 2600 pF
and L = 1.8 uH.

My preferred method with <1/4-wave verticals -- if there's a lot of space and
tall supports -- is to get the top hat wires into an over-resonance condition
into the top of the MW BC band.  Doing so increases base R and moves the
maximum current point up and away from the ground.  It also often results in
just one series capacitor to get 50+j0 at the base.

Paul, W9AC