Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: donovanf@starpower.net
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: Eugene Colton <epcolton@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 20:25:28 -0600
Jim,

@ say, 1.83 MHz, the electrical length of your vertical is about 47.4 deg,
necessitating a top hat of about 42.6 deg.  I followed the prescription of
John, ON4UN and calculated out a surge impedance of 377 ohms based on an
average radiator diameter of 2.25 inches; the hat capacitance would be
about 212 pf.  If you did a disc cap hat, it would need to be maybe 6m
diameter, pretty big.  If you just used T-wire loading you need maybe 35m
of top hat.

Not sure how you would use this antenna on 80m.

I use base loading on 160m, thanks to a motorized mobile screwdriver coil
at the base of my 50-foot radiator.  And NO problem running 350 watts AM
through the system.
73
Eugene/AF9O