Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: Jim Garland <4cx250b@miamioh.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: Richard Schmiedt <schmiera@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 20:49:20 -0400
Jim,

I have that 80m quarter wave vertical by DXE and use a simple matching network
with it for 160m.  As it stands, the vertical is basically an 1/8 monopole with
~12 ohms real Z on 160, so I use a 4:1 balun to bring the 50 ohm coax down to
12 ohms then add a 4 inch diameter coil in series to resonate the stick to 1850
kHz (as I remember about 23-28 uH).  It works very well with 28 33’ radials and
10 65’ radials underneath. The 2:1 bandwidth is around 40 kHz.  (The QTH is
near Charleston SC near a marsh.)

I feed the coax into a T connector at the vertical, one side going directly
thru a Normally Closed, 12V vacuum relay to the feed point of the vertical.
This bypasses the tuning circuit and resonates the vertical on 80m. When 12V is
applied to open the relay, the RF then goes thru the balun and coil which is
hardwired to the feed point of the vertical (at the same point as the output of
the relay).

It’s simple and it works. The 4:1 balun by Balun Designs is < $100 and the coil
I bought at a flea market for $30. It’s flat wound so it’s easy to solder taps
onto it.  I use flat copper strips to solder to the coil. The vacuum relay is
rated at 1500V 4A QSK found on eBay for ~$35.

I haven’t tried switching taps to gain BW. I use a tuner at the rig and it will
go from about 1800-1925 at 1200W without much of a problem. Above 1925, the
Balun really starts to overheat so the power has to come down a bit.

Rick
W4GE

Sent from my iPhone