Re: Topband: Air wound coil

To: Richard Beerman <rbeersr@att.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: Air wound coil
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 15:00:45 -0400

> On 2018-09-04 1:18 PM, Richard Beerman wrote:
Rick and Bob, Thanks for such swift replies. Looks like I should try to reinforce the 3/8” tubing (it’s pretty short) with a wood dowel or
perhaps with smaller or larger aluminum tubing.
Unless you want to redesign the antenna's taper schedule, I would simply
get a piece of 1/4" tubing and place inside the entire length of the
3/8" tip section.  Then I would use 3, 4 or 6 top wires - make them 18
or 20 gauge for strength.  Arrange them equally around the vertical and
clamp them to the tip section with a SS band ("worm") clamp.

Since the 3/8" section is only 36" long (only 24" exposed), I would
strongly consider attaching the top wires at the junction between
the 1/2" and 3/8" sections ... at worst the top wires will be 24"
longer than they would had they been at the very top.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 2018-09-04 1:18 PM, Richard Beerman wrote:
Rick and Bob,  Thanks for such  swift replies. Looks like I should try to reinforce the
3/8” tubing (it’s pretty short) with a wood dowel or perhaps with smaller or
larger aluminum tubing. Then the fishing line method should be a perfect solution using 24 or
26 gauge wire. Using this method, I think a hairpin loop at the base of the vertical will
help me achieve resonance. Thanks again.  Dick  W5AK