Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spot in ARRL DX
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 21:45:57 -0500
Is that true Randy, most casual DXers are not seeing skimmer spots?  W3LPL
automatically posts some of less common DX skimmer spots on the cluster but
the rest of the skimmer spots go unnoticed?   If that is correct, then more
stations should be self-spotting on RTTY and CW when allowed.  I have never
self-spotted on RTTY or CW.

The spotting network has existed since I believe the 80's and prior to that
rarer DX stations were announced on 2m repeaters so tuning for DX stations
has not been necessary for a long time. Of course it is much easier now to
click and work, maybe so easy that some stations don't feel the need to
regularly identify.  Without spotting we would all probably be making a lot
less QSOs so the cluster is adding to everyone's fun, regardless of
category.  Fortunately you can still operate unassisted (un-unlimited) in
most major contests and have the thrill of finding that new multiplier or
band opening however operating assisted (unlimited) can also be fun.

John KK9A

Randy Thompson k5zd wrote:

The flaw in this argument is that many (most?) hams don't subscribe to RBN
spots.  Self spotting on CW actually helps reach another layer or two of
casual ops and DXers in a contest.  So arguing that using it on phone is
just an analog for RBN is not quite true.

Self spotting is another form of calling CQ using the Internet instead of
radio.

It does seem the hobby has evolved to the point where making a contact by
any means is more fun/important than using tuning skills.  Disappointing,
but it is what it is. On we go into the future.

Randy K5ZD